January 10, 2006
Most people who want to burn off some excess pounds and tighten and tone their bodies simply don’t have 2 hours each day to spend in the gym performing the bodybuilding style workouts that most “fitness experts” recommend.
Plus, these workouts consist of exercises and techniques that do not exercise the body in the way it is normally used so they end up building a somewhat unusable strength. In my opinion, most people, unless their main objective is body building, shouldn’t perform the traditional style workouts
While I do still believe that machine and free weight strength training is the best choice for body building, it is NOT the best choice when it comes to general fitness goals like strength, flexibility, endurance, etc.
I don’t know about you, but I can barely fit in 15 minutes for exercise let alone 2 hours… and I personally am not interested in muscle size alone (which doesn’t mean strength and usually leaves you stiff and inflexible)! I’m sure your schedule is probably the same. The good news though is you don’t have to… you can burn fat, increase flexibility, build unbelievable strength and endurance, reshape your body, and build a level of fitness that is truly functional.
I want to share with you a workout that I do personally that delivers a great combination of strength, flexibility, cardio and muscular endurance, and fat burning.
The following exercises should be performed with little or no rest between and you may need to adjust the number of repetitions or time depending upon your current fitness level.
· Jumping Jacks –1 minute
· Bodyweight squat (one-leg squat for advanced) – 15-20 reps
· Push-ups (slower reps for advanced) – as many reps as possible
· Kick butts (jog in place and kick your rear with both heels) – 1 minute
· Hamstring floor bridge (use swiss ball or one leg for advanced) - 15-20 reps
· Superman (lying on stomach w/ arms out to side, lift legs and chest off floor) – 15-20 reps
· High knees (jog in place lifting knees as high as possible) – 1 minute
· Stationary lunge – 15-20 reps
· Torso rotations/twists – 20 reps each direction
· Side bends/reaches – 20 reps each direction
· Mountain climbers – 1 minute (if you can J)
· Wall sit – as long as you can hold it
· Dips (use chair/bench/stairs) – as many reps as possible
There you have it… sounds easy, right? That couldn’t possibly do anything, right? I personally challenge you… try it… no, try it right now! Drop what you are doing and give it a shot and see for yourself. If you find it a bit easy, which I doubt, perform it 2-3 times thru without rest.
This workout will deliver more usable fitness results and benefits than any traditional gym or health club workout. Now, you can of course implement this type of workout in the gym and make it even better, but the beauty of this is you can do it anywhere!
Also, this is just one example and as you can imagine, there thousands of other exercises you can add or replace… I actually recommend switching the exercises every 2-4 weeks or even better is to put together 3 or 4 different workouts and then rotate them.